Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Under New Management

I received the following story from a professor this week. I thought the message was so great that I wanted to share it with all of you. It resonated with me as I celebrated my TWO YEAR birthday of being a Christian this past Sunday. I hope you enjoy it.

For a few years I had the privilege of working with The Salvation Army where I heard a story of an illiterate man who was converted through the work there.

This man went regularly to the Salvation Army citadel. One day he came home rather disconsolate. His wife said, "What’s the matter?" He said, "I’ve just noticed that all the people in the Salvation Army wear red sweaters, and I don’t have a red sweater." She said, "I’ll knit one." So she knitted him a red sweater.

The next Sunday after he went to the citadel, he still wasn’t happy. His wife said, "What’s wrong this time?" And he said, "I just noticed all their red sweaters have yellow writing and I don't have any writing."

They were both illiterate, but she said, "Don’t worry about it. I’ll embroider some writing for you." The man’s wife had no idea what the letters read, but began copying a sign from a store window opposite their home. She then embroidered the words of that store sign onto his red sweater.

When he came back the next Sunday, she said, "Did they like your sweater?"

"They loved my sweater. Some of them smiled at me when they saw my sweater."

What neither of them knew was that the copied sign off the store window read:

“UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT!” Says it all, doesn’t it?

God is still in the life transformation business!

Courtesy of Rev. James Carder

No comments:

Post a Comment