Friday, September 17, 2010

Realizing the importance of family

Often times I gloss over things like: talking to my parents, in-laws, even really close friends, because of our ‘I had somewhere to be 20 minutes ago’ way of life. While praying with my son the other night before bed, I asked him if he wanted pray for us. He did, and quickly began rattling off names of his friends from Sunday school, his playgroup, classmates from his preschool, even our house and dog!

His innocence made me stop and realize that too often I overlook the important thing in life: family. I asked him, "Do you know why it is important to remember and be thankful for our family?" Two year olds don’t have much theological or introspective analysis for a question like this. Perhaps the real reason is: because there are so many people – young and old – that don't have a close network of friends, family, or even a place to call home. All of this in some way makes up what I call FAMILY.

What are you thankful for? Now think of your answer like this: if your answer were taken from you today, how would it affect your life tomorrow and going forward?

No comments:

Post a Comment